Instagram pictures are perfect for all kinds of different crafts (as you can tell, I’ve been on a tear!). Today’s DIY Instagram Coasters are definitely my favourite Instagram DIY to date!
I love Instagram (obviously), and I am constantly printing off pictures, but am never really sure what to do with them. Then I thought, wait, these are the perfect size for the tiles I used for my DIY Coasters. So I decided to make my own Instagram coasters. I went through my Instagram account and chose four pictures that I thought would work perfectly for these coasters – all pictures of drinks! Cheesy, maybe, but I live for that kind of thing. I chose four different drinks – tea, beer, wine and a latte. They are so cute! They would also make a great gift too!
Want to make your own? Follow these steps.
What you’ll need:
- 4 (or more, depending on how many you want to make) 4×4 inch tiles – I bought mine at Home Depot for super cheap
- Printed Instagram pictures (I printed mine at Blacks)
- Modge Podge
- Foam brush (Dollar Store)
- Acrylic sealer to make them waterproof (I used American Acrylic Sealer in Matte)
- Felt circles (used to put on the bottom of furniture to keep it from scratching the floor)
- How to make them:
Wipe down each tile to ensure you are working on a clean surface.
Using the foam brush, spread a layer of Modge Podge on a tile. Carefully place one of your Instagram pictures, centered on the tile. The great thing about Modge Podge, is that it doesn’t dry right away so you can move the picture around for a few seconds if it isn’t perfectly centered at first.
- Repeat for the rest of your tiles and let dry, about 30 minutes or so. After 30 minutes, apply a layer of Modge Podge over each picture evenly, covering the entire surface of the tile. Don’t be afraid of the white layer that the Modge Podge creates, it will dry clear. Let dry about an hour. Apply another layer of Modge Podge and let dry for another hour. Apply one more layer of Modge Podge (so, three layers total).
- Now here comes the fun part – and I think this is where I messed up with my DIY Coasters – you wait. And I don’t mean overnight wait. I mean, let them dry somewhere forget about them and come back to them in about a week, wait. They will definitely be dry by then. It’s hard, I know, I hate leaving projects, but it must be done.
After about a week take the coasters outside and spray just one thin layer of the sealant. I also think this is where I went wrong with my other coasters. I didn’t wait long enough for the Modge Podge to dry and I sprayed way too much adhesive. This (still, and it’s been over a year since I made the other coasters) makes hot drinks stick to my old coasters. But not this time!
And then again, walk away from this project. Sit back for about a week and really let that adhesive dry. I’m sure you could probably use them in a few days, but I was determined to create the perfect Instagram coasters. And I did. After about a week, apply felt circles to the bottom corners of each of the tiles so they won’t scratch your furniture and you are good to go. Beautiful DIY Instagram coasters for your home – or for the homes of others!